Once you have completed your course and have decided not to keep your textbooks, students have an opportunity to RECYCLE your textbooks by participating in our used textbook buyback program. The MSOE Bookstore will buy back books daily from students. In addition, sell your books back anytime 24/7 on our website. Click on the Online Buyback tab on our home page of our website or click HERE if you are interested in details how to sell your textbook online. However, the best time to sell your textbooks is at the end of each term during finals week.
INSTORE BUY BACK DATES BY TERM:
THERE WILL NOT BE AN INSTORE BUYBACK FOR THE SPRING 2020 TERM
- For a quote from the MSOE Bookstore, please check at http://www.bookstore.msoe.edu/Buyback or send an email ISBN list to [email protected]
- For a quote from MBS Books, please check at https://onlinebuyback.mbsbooks.com/index.php?jde=5443
With the concern of rising costs of textbooks, the MSOE Bookstore would like to answer frequently asked questions by students.
WHAT DETERMINES WHICH BOOKS WILL BE PURCHASED AT BUY BACK?
There are several factors made up to build a buy back book list, which determines if a student is able to sell their book and what the buy back value is for that particular book. Some of the affecting factors are:
- Whether or not the textbook and that edition has been selected by the professor to be used for the next term.
- If the edition of the textbook is current and not in the process of being replaced by a new edition by the publisher.
- The nationwide supply and demand for that particular text.
- The projected needs for the text have been fulfilled by both the bookstore and the used textbook company.
WITH THE COST OF BOOKS SO HIGH, WHY CAN THE RETURN RATE BE SO LOW?
The percentage that student receive for their books are determined if the used book company conducting the buy back for the bookstore is buying the book for the bookstore or for the company they represent. Students receive about 50% of the new book price if the book will be used for the next term, which could be a higher percentage if the book was purchased used. If the store does not need the text for the upcoming term, the used book company can offer up to 40% of the list price of the book.
WHY ARE OLD EDITIONS NOT FREQUENTLY BOUGHT BACK?
Editions that have been replaced by a newer edition are considered to have no buy back value. Occasionally, older editions or newly replaced editions still have buy back value depending on the textbook selection of faculty on campus. However, a newer edition textbook is frequently selected by faculty to provide current and applicable educational materials to fulfill the needs of both inside and outside of the classroom.
WHY ARE EDITIONS BEING REPLACED SO FREQUENTLY?
Publishers are essential in providing educational materials to meet the classroom needs of faculty in order for students to receive a quality education. Used textbooks would not even exist if it was not for publishers. Unfortunately, the availability of used textbooks has decreased over the past several years due to publishers developing custom prints, textbook bundles and frequent replacement of editions.
WHY IS THERE A LIMITED TIME THAT BUY BACK IS OFFERED?
The main buy backs are always held during finals week. The bookstore also offers additional buy backs the first two days of the start of the classes in the beginning of each term. The demand for the purchase of the books being bought back lessens as the enrollment is determined and finalized. The bookstore has a projected number of texts to purchase for each class and usually fulfills that number by the end of finals week. Once the term begins there is less demand for the bookstore to purchase books from students and will most likely be shipped off campus. The bookstore is always willing to look at the textbooks to be shipped off campus, but keep in mind that the amount a student may receive could be lower.
HELPFUL HINTS AND SUGGESTIONS:
- Try to sell your books at the beginning of the buy back when there is a greater chance that the book will be purchased for the bookstore and not to be shipped off campus. You will have a great chance of getting a higher percentage for the text.
- When purchasing textbooks from alternate sources, be sure not to purchase international or instructor copies, which cannot be bought back.
- If your textbook has a CD enclosed, make sure the CD is with the book at the time you visit the buy back.
- Verify that you will not being using your book in the future for another course before selling a book back.
- Student solution manuals and workbooks can only be bought back if the book is not written in.
- You DO NOT need a receipt when you bring your books to buy back. You are selling your textbook for a percentage of the retail price and not returning them to the bookstore. Textbook returns require a receipt and must be returned within the posted last day to return date.
- Before purchasing a book from another source, verify that the text is going to be used in the future. The edition could be changing or the text could be replaced by another text.
- DO NOT SELL BACK RENTAL BOOKS. Verify that any book that you sell back IS NOT a rental textbook. This could be costly if you sell back a textbook you either rented from the MSOE Bookstore or another source.
Please feel free to contact us at the bookstore if you have questions or require additional information.